Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Philosophical Boons of Thinking for Yourself

Submitted this for a scholarship essay, deadline snuck up on me, so its kind of thrown together.

It was a Catholic upbringing in the face of a barrage of cross-cultural noise, unfounded curiosity, and dire dissatisfaction. I first thought of myself as godless in my youth, 8 years old perhaps, and was stuffed through Catechism and eventually Confirmation by parents who apparently didn’t know better or thought I owed some blood to their tradition. They weren’t devout to their spirituality in any way, but thought exposure to it would be healthy for my morality. I always doubted, but found myself unable to publicly denounce what I increasingly considered bullshit without some awkward conversation with family. I kept it to myself.

My atheism is much more informed now, a hunch expanded by voracious reading in all arenas: science, history, psychology, philosophy. I can express the nuances and have tried to develop an understanding of all the tendrils and requirements relying on nothing requires.

There are benefits, believers and apologists tell me, to believing in the Judeo-Christian tradition or any other supernatural architecture of reality. Comfort with cosmological “truth”, the ability to sleep at night, a tidy and explicit moral compass. I must argue that atheism, the belief that no supernatural intelligence governs our universe, has benefits outweighing each of these.

Atheism has granted me tremendous freedom. Subscribing to it early in my youth helped to remove the illusion that the authorities in my life represented my needs. I am of the conviction that the seed of many of our social ills is that we believe our security and authority is a requirement. Authoritative teachers are installed to maintain order in the minds and actions of children who thrive on chaos. The police state exists to maintain the status quo and repress change. Religion exists so that someone else’s concept of right can be enforced even in your heart. Understanding that there is no cosmic authority, and not just for my convenience but as a matter of fact, I must shoulder the onus of determining my own order. It is up to me to decide what is right and wrong, and it is up to me to investigate, think, learn, discuss and experience in order to shore up or reconstruct this philosophy. A mind can only go so far on intuition and spoon-feeding, and I think the result is a society in which individuals only feel they’ve done wrong when they’ve tripped the alarm.




Atheism has alleviated the terror over every mistake I made along the path to self-discovery. I have, like everyone, made mistakes. I often carried a certain book too far down a path before realizing I had misinterpreted it. I often caved to some base instinct. However, living outside of the concepts of sin and eternal damnation allow one to change. I don’t live in fear that I’ll be struck down by some impossible lightning bolt, but rather I can thoughtfully conceptualize the inevitable future inherent in my actions. The freethinker’s philosophy, when bound to truth and rationality, changes as the facts come in. Realizations are allowed to swell into revolutions and are not immediately thrown out because they don’t fit under the capital letters of Commandments or Christ. We all have an innate sense of morality; it is thinking that this comes from outside of ourselves that leads to “immorality”. Restated: we all already know the difference between right and wrong, it is the assumption that they are arbitrarily right and wrong that leads to problems. For example, when a child sees a parent acting in what may be called universal immorality (something that offends virtually everyone), that example becomes a seed for later action because the child is indoctrinated that the Rules are handed down from Authority.


I’ve graduated college once now. Out in this posturing assemblage they call the real-world; trying to make a few dollars and find some solace. If I believed that all that was required of me to have a “successful” life was to follow ten rules, accept some mysterious savior into my life, and breed then I’d be part way there already. An infinitum of rest in the clouds awaits. Upon review, however, I find that this mindset is harmful. We have a civilization that believes the total sum of their significance relies on what happens to their “soul” after they die, fortunately many of the rules that get you into heaven also have a positive or irrelevant affect on the world we live in. But the thought that your presence here is not of significance, that you are not a fundamental (if tiny) particle in the teeming masses is not only careless but indignant. It matters what you do with your life. It matters because every action you are responsible for has externalized consequences. You live in this world, damn it, and having your head in the clouds (literally) fucks everyone else over. Atheism has allowed me to accept that nothing will happen to me when I die. This is my last and only chance, and I had better make it count.


All told, atheism or more simply an unwillingness to accept the belief systems handed to me, has allowed me to transcend the inhibitions and hang-ups that may have plagued my parents or people like them. This is not to downplay their humanity, I love them dearly; but I've found that by questioning assumptions I've gained the freedom to accept the truth when I find it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second your notions here. Externalized morality removes the personal judgement from people to authority, so people who commit heinous acts, and are punished, transfer the blame to the punishers instead of themselves. Many people never learn this rule, and that's one of the reasons, in my opinion, why crime rates, particularly in America, are so high.

I also believe that other problems cause these types of actions as well. The pressure people put upon themselves to accomplish "The American Dream" warp and twist their minds. People have been indoctrinated to accumulate wealth to the detriment of all others. This can override almost any simple system of morality.

When this happens, together with the concepts of externalized authority = superego, and the belief that true punishment or reward take place in the "afterlife", disastrous consequences result. The reason I say this is the belief in the afterlife is set in these people, and for the rest of their lives, the facts about the universe we discover argues against this belief, convincing another part of their brains that the afterlife does not exist. Therefore, the conclusion that they reach is that as long as they can avoid consequences here in the real world, they can do whatever they feel they need to do to accomplish whatever goals they have in mind.

With atheism, people realize that in this world, the only world that truly matters, the responsibility for their actions falls on them and them alone. They should be moral and upright, or the consequences will affect thier lives negatively, and their lives are all that they have. Logically, they will conclude that the best way to live is to affect others in positive ways only, or not at all.

I want to rant more, but I'm working on a final paper, and my break time is short. Enjoy your time off, my friend.

Peace,
Gary

tkhoveringhead said...

I am interested in your comment that there is a contradiction, in the minds of individuals, between indoctrination of heaven/hell/etc and the essentially difficult to dismiss evidence that this is likely not true. Tying our morality to something that we are starting to disbelief kind of allows one to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Another interesting tangent I sort of wanted to follow was the reprecrussions of the notions soul and afterlife. I think our peculiar capacities for culture and interaction and influence in the lives of others may very well allow us to have an "afterlife" in the memories of those that remain. Thus, if we are assholes, we'll be remembered as such. If we're the opposite, our legacy will be equivalently grander. And I think this, as it is a reflection of what could possibly be called a "soul" (in my mind, the smallest component of our psyche and personality that distinguishes us), can figuratively translate to a heaven/hell sort of continuum. This coupled with what I think our very instinctual urges to help others, and an intellectual understanding of the societal benefits of "getting along" can give us a moral compass with no need of religion whatsoever.

Anyway. Thanks. Have a good holiday man.

Anonymous said...

My point exactly. Irrational belief systems, when confronted with cold hard facts that claim the opposite, creates massize cognitive dissonance. This results in rationalization on an order that, as you said, allows for the justification of almost any act.

I see your point about the "soul", but there must be a more comprehensive view of it. Just memories of people can't be enough. It must be more like karma. Actions always have consequences, therefore any actions you take during your life will reverberate throughout all of the universe for the rest of time. Ripple effect sort of thing. When you look at it, it does seem almost infinitesimally small, but I guess we just have to accept that as how the universe truly works.

I also want to say that I'm not sure that the instinct to help others is natural, but is more survival orientated. We are social animals, so in the ocntext of kinship groups, helping others makes sense. On a species-wide level, however, our instincts tell us to be selfish, as helping others out reduces our own chances at continuing our genetic line. Yet, I agree with you intellectual understanding of societal benefits of, to use a cliche, "love your fellow man". We are lucky in that we can rise above what our instincts tell us, and use rational thought to examine the abstract possibilities of our actions into the distant future. Unfortunately, it seems that many of the people with real power have let this abstract reasoning atrophy, resulting in our polluted, warmongering, greedy state of the union we have today.

Keeping this in mind, it should become even more imperative for people that understand the situation to stick to a set of secular morals and ethics that can be reasoned out from observation instead of "being handed down from up high." We have access to the faculties of logic and reason, we should use them.

Either way, however, I wouldn't like to be remembered as an "asshole" personally, but my morals have basically resulted from observation of the social world we live in, combined with the knowledge of what my actions may bring about in the future. Maybe they're a little stricter than the average person, but that works to at least tip the scales the other way just a little bit.

Well, done with my paper. I had to do a final essay on Jack Kerouac and how he failed to apply Buddhism in his life in such a way as to save himself from self-destruction. There are some really good biographies about him out there, and I got "Some of the Dharma" so as to have access to his personal thoughts on the whole matter. Interesting reading, probably last me through the break. Maybe we can discuss it sometime.

Peace, man, enjoy your rest from the daily grind. If I get the chance, maybe I'll head out to your neck of the woods sometime, even if I have to do it on my thumb, and see the scene there.

tkhoveringhead said...

Why'd you remove it? *puppy dog eyes*