Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Books I Read This Year

Books I've read since the jump (just over 6 months now):

The Ecology of Commerce
by Paul Hawken:
Seemingly valid approaches, however impossible in implementation, to the concurrent problems of class warfare, corporate greed and environmental exploitation. I tend to be an advocate of big picture approaches, and here Hawken examines the very root of our daily lives. Reading this book, I came to understand that there is a fundamental flaw to the manner in which we conduct business, and to continually ignore it is to hasten our own collapse.


The Autobiography of
Malcolm X:
For me, provided tremendous insight on perhaps the most influential figure in black culture. I had been woefully ignorant of his accomplishments, history and lifestyle and found him to be nothing short of inspirational. A true rebel who found out through daunting trials that the revolution starts within. X went from being, essentially, a street thug (albeit a particularly calculating and skilled one) to being perhaps the most disciplined, hardest-working firebrand of America’s past century. One of very few martyrs in our recent history.


The Age of Spiritual Machines
by Ray Kurzweil:
A great deal of hubris and self-aggrandizement from an individual just shy of deserving it. Illuminated the facts I needed to argue for something I’ve felt for a long time; that we will inevitably merge with our technology. Were you aware that currently there is a complex, evolutionary algorithm at work somewhere in NYC that is monitoring millions of dollars in investments with an amazing track record? This book is full of ponderous updates on the progress of artificial intelligence.



Waiting For the Barbarians
by J.M. Coetzee:
Obviously influenced by The Great Wall by Franz Kafka, but chilling nonetheless. There is something inherently surreal about a settlement out on the frontier, waiting to be pounced upon by barbarians, or rather waiting to pounce on noble savages in their midst. This book had some extremely powerful moments; stark, painful, reflection on an Absurdist agony.



Dune by Frank Herbert:
I've already talked about this here



The Silent Cry
by Kenzuburo Oe:
Not very good at all. I used to really like Oe.


Collapse
by Jared Diamond:
This book provides great context and historical background on why civilizations fail. From Easter Island to the Vikings to modern day China. We live beyond our means, simple as that, and as long as we continue to measure things in purely monetary, short-term units we are destined to fail.


The Dead Father
by Donald Barthelme:
Hilarious, beats Samuel Beckett at his own game. The story essentially revolves around the transportation of a quasi-dead, partially mechanical godhead across the countryside. He is at once full of rage and lust and innocence and stupidity. He inspires both awe and pity. Fascinatingly written, but occasionally overwrought in its strangeness.


As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner:
I have had this book since I was 16 and then found it too difficult to follow. Now, reading it, I see why Faulkner is considered such a great writer. Nimble and funny. He is capable of making one feel exactly how he wants in the mere architecture of a scene. And the way Darl describes things can make you weep at the timbre of the words on the page. Near the end is, I venture to say, the single best "action" scene in all literature.


(BTW, this is my 100th post. Go me!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool readings! I loved the Autobiography of Malcolm X, I had similar thoughts too, nice getting some insight into such an influential figure. I've heard of that third book you mention, thinking of reading it, but it sounds a bit drab from your description. Dune is cool, although sci-fi ain't my thing. And I gotta read more Faulkner, great writer, but I find that I need to concentrate pretty hard, his writing is pretty involved.

tkhoveringhead said...

Sci-Fi isn't particularly my bag either. But I think Dune is pretty good all around. Would have worked if it were set anywhere or at any time.
I read the Kurzweil book on a whim sort of, he has some very interesting ideas but his writing is not very compelling. Maybe I'm just hard to please with nonfiction.
I can't believe that I went so long without reading anything by Faulkner, I thought he was amazing.

J.K.Scott said...

Intrigued by a claim in this post, I read As I Lay Dying, and found it a chore. The action scene you refer to must be the barn, though when I first read it I found nothing notable about it and pressed on in search of the great action scene that never came. Overall, I feel the book was non-descript and left me with nearly nothing to think about. It’s unnerving to think that at my age I still utterly fail to see the value in the so-called classics, but I am only being honest. I tried…

tkhoveringhead said...

I'm not neccessarily surprised you didn't particularly like it. And unfortunately it seems my book recommendations have a weak track record when people take them up. I'm not really sure why that is.

In defense of the Faulkner book; while I do see how you may come to the conclusion that there is little there to think about, I would posit that its starkness and cruelty (the sort of Absurdist tragedy of the whole thing) echoes and modernizes elements of mythology. These people, noble farmers typical of the sort whose lives would be romanticized in literature are humanized to the point of patheticism. The old husband's struggle to redeem his life, and his parallel shifting of blame to circumstances and an angry god (or worse his children)casts the same sort of struggles with responsibility and "spirituality" that many of us go thru.
As far as the action scene, perhaps I'm the only person it appeals to. But I've read it a few times over now, and find it undiminishing in value.

Anyhow, didn't mean to misguide.
Take care, and good luck with exams.