Friday, December 01, 2006

" . . .and if I don't respect it enough, fffade away it will"

Someone important to me has made a life-changing decision. Decided to forego potential fortune and legacy and comfort to have communion with her own fatal elements. We all know what we want, we've all known it since our earliest years. We spend our lives trying to convince ourself otherwise.

I spent some time last week with a colusses. A tall Irish surgeon who found the thread in his life and followed it until he finally sat drinking tequila with me and blessing the mountains he finally got to call home. He's saved countless lives in his day, raised a dynamic family who genuinely loves each other, made friends with success. He encourages everything. He encouraged even my timidly laid plan for the next few years with a refill to my Don Julio and a serious request to know what I'm reading in class.

Ideas for stories I have neither time or patience for fill my pockets, and as I wait for files to download or the coffee to brew I pull them out and ponder them. Fish for their remnants in my hastily forgotten dreams. Put opening sentences in my mouth to examine their texture, hold them out again in the light to make sure they're solid enough. I make mental notes of nervous tics and always suggest to my comradrie some alternative ending to this thing we call now.

Once or twice each afternoon a car would drive through the ankle-high water, see the lights of Ciro's, unsubmerged, above them and pull up the incline to take a break. Sometimes these drivers would meeerely get out, visor their eyes to the sun, and look south-west down the road at the water as it stretched out before them. Sometimes they would kill the ignition and walk into the restaurant befuddled.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, we all do know what we want, deep inside. And you're also right in that we convince ourselves otherwise. But why is that? Pressure from family, friends, the world in general, money issues, what? I have my own thoughts on the issue, but I'd like to hear a fresh perspective.

It's good to receive encouragement. I hope it helps motivate you even more so than you are already, whcih from my experience is a whole hell of a lot. Keep it up.

I hate to think of the stories you have that will forever be untold. I've always loved to read your work, in fact, I'm reading "Divided by Zero" again for the fun of it. Again, man, any stories you write that you'd like to share, send them my way, I'll definitely give them the "once over" at the very least.

Peace.