Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My fellow Romans

The cinema of me sitting
on a hotel bed.
Lights out. Televised national event.
Thinking of what I'll say
at Tuesday's city council meeting.
Dreaming of molotov cocktails
and seeking the contrails
and epiphanies of my youth.
Red-eyed at a failed institute.


Something changed inside of me last night.
On official business I took spare time to wander around this strange town I found myself in. In the dark. In the rain. I scrambled up a privately-owned foothill, smoked my smoke, and looked down at the past. Seeing still-burning memories in the way puddles caught streetlights. Felt the burn of lost love in the curve of the road away from me. Remembered that I once felt some terminal connection to the Fatal Elements. That I once knew inter-dimensional travelers by name. That I once changed everything within my sphere, and then did it again.

I returned to my room, high on contradictions and clean of history. Falling out of my clothes in anticipation that I'd shortly write the greatest sentence of my life. And I did. And I can't share it because it was only meant for me.

0 comments: