Friday, August 24, 2007

"Take Me Home"

I can't write poetry anymore. For the twelve millionth time in my life I stare at a yawning universe of blank paper and find no godly imperative to populate it with the spindly architecture of stunted lines or microscopic stills of the burning panoramas of my dreams. I can't wend some cohesive thread through a complex of emotional truths and somehow remain unscathed by sentimentality or moments of weakness. And yet, try to square this with the literal combustion in my ribcage; my current iteration brimming with "how I really feel about things" and a spectral honesty that I once-only-and-still-best muster quite late at night.

And so instead I try to orchestrate grand fictional schemes, like throw everyone into the fire and burn off their weakness and challenge them to duels with themselves and narcotize their epiphanies and strand them someplace. But this is always what I've done best: shoot from the hip with swagger and sentience, scatter my suffering asymmetrically so you can feel your teeth clack, bang my head against bulldozers, press my back up flat against walls so the impact is not absorbed but shatters my limbs like ceramic. . . Anxiety my lacquer and laxative and language.

You've magnetized me, so the iron in my blood stands at attention and erects abstract sculpture signifying the innumerable times I thought the my Life was over.

1 comments:

Geenie said...

something I wrote recently:
America, my love.
I am encased with
this picture of you-
streamlined, encumbered,
in a casing of
virtual advertisements
rotating, an imaginary spew.

I bow to you,
fumbling to
my,
to steady my knees.
With one sock off,
I praise you.
I am in such a hurry,
a service-industried-
soul, choosing
hurried
dreams, in
choices invariably
and ordinately
communally skewed.

To cater to,
to model and
be directed,
to aim
to please.

America,
I lay down a
peaceful gesture,
on your poorest
plot of land,
just to sense myself
to still my shaking
in sinking into you.

and all that
your lights shine
to bright.
I lay down
so as not to be
seen, to mire
bathing in the
fine pleasantries,
to honk what
you later will loot.

i lay down
so as not
to be seen,
to sink
before I breathe your respite.

America,
I pace in deliberations
and count breaths
and loafs (purposely
not spelled 'loaves'),
and puddles,
as long as
you are there.

And while gazing
at your cunning
reflection, an offer
(with no alternative),
off of your moon,

Here in my other
country,
I am waiting,
to find my way
into your brew
spoon
stew
strewn
contagious ready-made
impulsively intriguing,
mediocre way.