Monday, January 16, 2006

Noise in the Storage

I started another phase of writing a third novel two weeks ago (this being the part where I write the actual content, 50-90% of which will inevitably be changed). The prewriting process lasted nearly two years; two years of flipping desks over (figuratively), pacing around stoned, taping up nonsense on my walls, learning HTML, suffering through suburbia, questioning my very purpose. Occasionally I had fits of what I like to think was inspiration. Here's the gist of the thing for the one or two people I haven't already annoyed with it:

Two guys representing what can be termed "hypermediocrity" (that is middle class jobs in a nameless suburb, devoting much of thier time and interest to their hopeless families and "friendly" competition with one another). Via past experiences and a "seed" event for each of them they (completely without influence of each other) begin a sort of inner revolution that has them questioning and lashing out at the suburban network in which they live as well as the religious or political assumptions they live under. They're both kind of assholes, (or maybe "dicks" by the Team America Definition)

Eventually they've convinced themselves to action and sort of team up to whistleblow or otherwise hold-up the efforts of the huge multinational they work for in executing a controversial government contract . . . . yadda yadda .. . I don't want to give much away I guess.

I'm trying to use some devices and/or techniques that I haven't seen utilized very frequently or to great effect. One character has frequent bouts of inspirational hypnogogia
that result in essentially surrealist interpretations of actual events. The other becomes disturbingly interested in conspiracy theory and numbers stations. The idea in general is that they are BOTH protagonists and sort of equal the average male in the average suburban situation in America. A boring topic in some ways, but one I'm not sure has been explored comprehensively in the way I intend to explore it. What is interesting to note is that (I think) using a generic even familiar backdrop (suburbia) gains something for the overall piece. For example, by taking suburbia and exaggerating/sterilizing it one can make ordinary events seem ludicrous and thus make the framework(setting) carry some of the energy required for the overall theme. Suburbia is far more interesting as a character of its own then it is as a place to hang out.

The combination of two main storylines also allows for a bit of downtime for one character (i.e. what could be considered slower elements of the plot) to be sandwiched by pure insanity in the events of the other . . . I'd like the reader to be exhausted by the end of the thing.

Anyhow, after I've written some of it I will be putting up some snippets.

0 comments: