Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"I owe much, I have nothing. The rest I leave to the poor."

Memorial Day . . .

(credit. video:some kid on the Internet, audio:Cage-Grand Ol' Party Crash)


I read an article about kids moving to New York and struggling wit dey bills (you can read the first 9 words here, or try to remember your nytimes password). One kid interviewed pirates internet. Another kids makes his own meals, a big thing of rice and beans that he eats for lunch and dinner. Some of them wait to get haircuts until they go back to visit their 'rents in Ohio or whatever (how do they pay for that?). One guy even, if you can believe this, cuts his own hair. I wanted kids eating out of garbage cans and living in sewer pipes and fighting over their 50 square feet with shards of glass. I'm trying to move to NY . . .and their lives sound luxurious after Detroit and Arusha and Blade Runner and eschatological dreams about living in trash heaps.


Going to Vegas tomorrow to sit in on a meeting and take notes and introduce myself to various bureaucrats and the like. Hot, plastic Vegas where nothing is true and everything is permitted. Every time I travel for work now, I wonder: "when do the numbers start not working out. When do we simply say that a plane ticket is not in the budget?" And how long after this is it until we only fly for funerals or weddings or emergency surgeries?

It's strange who you meet when you stay relatively sober and follow up on invitations when you really just want to drive home from work at top-speed and read Transmetropolitan and see if your plants have grown. Still . . during hang-overs (whiskey, crossfit, whatever) I learned how to edit over the last week or so. Turns out you just quit whining, have a smoke and get to work.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you interview kids in New York "struggling wit dey bills"? Its new York...and they're more than likely Americans. If you ask any person who fits the above description, they're all struggling "wit dey bills". However, some dont grab on dey balls and talk wit an accent. Im sure you realize your still set for some sort of disappointments, be it a bad article or an unfortunate miscommunication at Taco Bell.

Vegas. Your exactly right, nothing is true and everything is permitted. im pretty sure you could rape a hooker then take her/him out for a nice steak dinner. if they're vegan...rape'em again...force that meat down their throat. id much rather vacation elsewhere. if youve got to go for work, what can you do...then again...what can you do puts the business trip in a whole new perspective. ask Hunter S. about that. i hope those days of fobbing off on the job and getting a round of applause still exist.

Brad, I hope all is still well for you. Im sure youve seen a bit about the Kwame situation. Hes screwed. Maybe its a complex stunt being pulled off to keep certain figures in office and dispose of old faces. I cant really trust someone who is a self-proclaimed politician. I always think of those caricatures of a green toothed monster with bulging red eyes and slicked back hair.

If Uncle Sam was really my uncle he would send me a card on my birthday.

lastly, if you havent checked out this dude Phat Kat, defintely do. I have the album Carte Blanche which was mostly produced by J.Dilla. its nice.

cheers,
Craig