Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Canons, Cowardice, Caffeine

This evening I had my first bout of "Introduction to Literary Studies". The professor is witty and insightful and skilled. I think the class will be interesting as said professor has a respect for varying interests and has designed the course with The Long Now in view and clarity on the valuable elements of this industry. I did however feel some tension with one of my classmates, mostly within my head. Some of her quotes, all spoken atop from a body virtually bereft of humanity and grotesque in a uniquely American way (read: McDonald's) and in a sort of half-assed joke (as though she isn't willing to committ to actually believing what she says), include: "Engineers always get preferential treatment" , "Isn't that why we study English, so we can feel superior to other people", "I loved The DaVinci Code", and (in response to authors English Majors need to read, ie. The Greats) "Hemingway".
I don't mention this because I want to pile on someone. It comes to mind because I think that she is one of many (and I've already met a dozen or so) in this area of academics that I'm going to strongly disagree with. On the surface it was merely people rattling of decent to fantastic authors, and my observation that not a single one of my favorite authors (save Achebe, and only after it was noted that everyone named was white and european/american) was mentioned. Hemingway, but not Huxley. Conrad, but not Joyce. Orson Scott Card, but not Kafka. I didn't name any, because I can't say that even these writers are "mandatory", I simply like them and have been influenced and moved by them.
Additionally, the whole thing made me feel out of sorts really. I think I value very different things in Literature than others, and when I become a professor one day I'll likely be hanging out with the computer science professors and the anthropologists. (I mentioned anthropology as an important "peripheral study", and got crickets).
It was fun though. ANd I can't wait until next week.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your classmate should be in a different major, IMHO.

I will say that your taste in reading is out-of-sorts with many other people, but that's a great thing, it means you're not a cookie-cutter kind of person, but you follow your own interests.

No mention of Hesse? I'm surprised...